Bennett lesions of the shoulder, also called thrower's exostosis refers to the mineralisation of the posterior band of the inferior glenohumeral ligament.
The abnormality is more prevalent in overhead throwing athletes.
It is associated with posterior labral tears, posterior undersurface rotator cuff tear, and posterior subluxation of the humeral head.
Patients may have pain during the cocking and follow-through phases of throwing. There may be tenderness of the posterior glenoid on palpation.
It is thought to be due to a traction injury of the posterior band of the inferior glenohumeral ligament during the deceleration phase of throwing.
Plain radiograph and CT
It is best seen on CT or axillary view x-ray of the shoulder as a curvilinear extra-articular calcification along the posteroinferior rim of the osseous glenoid near the attachment of the posterior band of the inferior glenohumeral ligament.
- 1. Kaplan P. Musculoskeletal MRI. W B Saunders Co. (2001) ISBN:0721690270. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 2. Erratum for PMID 21180585. Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 1994;5 (2): 371. doi:10.1177/1756283X10363751 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Yoneda M, Nakagawa S, Hayashida K et-al. Arthroscopic removal of symptomatic Bennett lesions in the shoulders of baseball players: arthroscopic Bennett-plasty. Am J Sports Med. 2002;30 (5): 728-36. Pubmed citation
- 4. Nakagawa S, Yoneda M, Hayashida K et-al. Superior Bennett lesion: a bone fragment at the posterosuperior glenoid rim in 5 athletes. Arthroscopy. 2007;23 (10): 1135.e1-4. doi:10.1016/j.arthro.2006.07.007 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Shah N, Tung GA. Imaging signs of posterior glenohumeral instability. AJR. American journal of roentgenology. 192 (3): 730-5. doi:10.2214/AJR.07.3849 - Pubmed
- 6. Wright RW, Paletta GA. Prevalence of the Bennett lesion of the shoulder in major league pitchers. The American journal of sports medicine. 32 (1): 121-4. doi:10.1177/0363546503260712 - Pubmed
- 7. De Maeseneer M, Jaovisidha S, Jacobson JA, Tam W, Schils JP, Sartoris DJ, Fronek J, Resnick D. The Bennett lesion of the shoulder. Journal of computer assisted tomography. 22 (1): 31-4. Pubmed
- 8. Ferrari JD, Ferrari DA, Coumas J, Pappas AM. Posterior ossification of the shoulder: the Bennett lesion. Etiology, diagnosis, and treatment. The American journal of sports medicine. 22 (2): 171-5; discussion 175-6. doi:10.1177/036354659402200204 - Pubmed